Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Wandering with purpose

In about two short weeks I am about to become an Associate in Ministry for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (and AIM for the ELCA if we're going to go with abbreviations).  It's a funny title to me in a lot of ways.  For much of my life, I've often felt "aimless" - wandering through interests and hobbies and ideas and even faith without always having a whole lot of purpose to those wanderings.

And then a funny thing happened on the way to my commissioning (that's what we AIMs have - commissionings rather than ordinations).  I began to feel purpose.  I began to feel direction.  I began to have, well, aim... 

Currently I am the Director of Equipping Ministries at St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Exton, PA.  So having some purpose and direction is a good thing.  I am called to help others find theirs, so having a little of my own is helpful...

But at my core I am still a wanderer.  I like to learn, explore, grow, change, and soak up as much as I can.

I'm reading a lot of Richard Rohr right now.  He helps give me aim each morning in his daily devotions.  Today's really hit me as appropriate.  He said:

A Threefold God totally lets go of any boundaries for the sake of the Other, and then receives them back from Another. It is a nonstop waterwheel of Love. Each accepts that He is fully accepted by the Other, and then passes on that total acceptance. Thus indeed, “God is Love”! It’s the same spiritual journey for all of us, for it takes most of our life to accept that we are accepted—and to accept everyone else as a result. (Adapted from The Shape of God: Deepening the Mystery of the Trinity  (CDDVDMP3)

Non-stop waterwheel of love.  We are all wanderers, aren't we?  This life is a journey with amazing promise, but it takes all of it - a life lived - to finally understand God's perfect, loving, unconditional acceptance.

My "aim" is to continue this journey - these "wanderings" - with God and with purpose.  To explore this amazingly unconditional grace and acceptance from God.  To wander to the ultimate goal of agape - unconditional, selfless love.
    
I'm writing this at my favorite time of the liturgical year.  Holy Week.  The time where that unconditional love is made complete.
   
May your wanderings be blessed and may you experience the miracle of Easter with a open heart and a readiness for wherever the journey may take you!



No comments:

Post a Comment