Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Remembering

Matthew 21:28-32 (NRSV)
Faith of tax collectors and prostitutes

"What do you think? A man had two sons; he went to the first and said, 'Son, go and work in the vineyard today.' He answered, 'I will not'; but later he changed his mind and went. The father went to the second and said the same; and he answered, 'I go, sir'; but he did not go. Which of the two did the will of his father?" They said, "The first." Jesus said to them, "Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you in the way of righteousness and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes believed him; and even after you saw it, you did not change your minds and believe him. 


I've never like the phrase "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."  Maybe it's because in general I'm a bit scatterbrained.  I'm like an absent minded professor full of great ideas but not always following through, simply because I get lost in the maze of details and just plain forget.  I'd like to think the second son in this category is like this.  Forgetful. Not lazy or ambivalent.

But when the stakes are high, remembering is the gift of life. Jesus came proclaiming a kingdom that was the opposite of the rule that happened under the Roman occupation and under our system as well. Neither of those systems are centered on life.  They are centered instead on competition, politicizing, one-upmanship, hoarding, individualization.  Instead Jesus came to invite us into a new kingdom.  A kingdom where love, companionship, relationship, and caring for the outcasts of the world were all lifted up.  He came to remind us of God's unfathomable adoration of us.  He came to claim us and show us the way.

The prostitutes and tax collectors didn't need too much reminding it seems.  They believed and remembered.  Jesus is still involved in the remembering business, which is very good news.

We remember every time we sing a song of praise.  We remember when we gather around the table to share in our Lord's body and blood.  We remember when we serve in the world those who are forgotten and without.  We remember when we read scriptures and discuss them with our community.  We remember when we gaze upon the Cross.

We remember when we love.

I'm lucky that with all my absentmindedness that I have a God who remembers when I can't.  I have a God who is relentless in reminding and loving and forgiving and strengthening me so that I can remember as well.

Awesome God, you remember every hair on our head and fiber of our being.  You remember us and pursue us even when we forget you.  Forgive our forgetting you.  Forgive our forgetting to cherish our neighbors.  Remind us daily of the great love you bear this world that we can join you in your new way of living. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment