Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Orpah

Ruth 1:3-15New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

But Elimelech, the husband of Naomi, died, and she was left with her two sons. These took Moabite wives; the name of the one was Orpah and the name of the other Ruth. When they had lived there about ten years, both Mahlon and Chilion also died, so that the woman was left without her two sons and her husband.
Then she started to return with her daughters-in-law from the country of Moab, for she had heard in the country of Moab that the Lord had considered his people and given them food. So she set out from the place where she had been living, she and her two daughters-in-law, and they went on their way to go back to the land of Judah. But Naomi said to her two daughters-in-law, “Go back each of you to your mother’s house. May the Lord deal kindly with you, as you have dealt with the dead and with me. The Lord grant that you may find security, each of you in the house of your husband.” Then she kissed them, and they wept aloud. They said to her, “No, we will return with you to your people.”But Naomi said, “Turn back, my daughters, why will you go with me? Do I still have sons in my womb that they may become your husbands? Turn back, my daughters, go your way, for I am too old to have a husband. Even if I thought there was hope for me, even if I should have a husband tonight and bear sons, would you then wait until they were grown? Would you then refrain from marrying? No, my daughters, it has been far more bitter for me than for you, because the hand of the Lord has turned against me.” Then they wept aloud again. Orpah kissed her mother-in-law, but Ruth clung to her.
So she said, “See, your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and to her gods; return after your sister-in-law.”

Does anyone ever think about Orpah?
Admittedly, there isn't much here, but yet of all the characters in the book of Ruth, something about this woman who appears fleetingly in the story, strikes a chord with me.

Because Orpah doesn't really do anything wrong.  She does what's expected.  She goes with her mother-in-law initially and then she follows Naomi's directions when the older woman tells her to go back home.

So she goes home to her family.  She does what's expected.  Back to her life and following the rules she's been given.

Yet somehow...somehow...

We know, even without knowing ahead of time how the story ends (or knowing the name of the book!) that it is Ruth's stepping out off of the expected path - not following the rules - that is what God's looking for.

Because by this point in the Old Testament if we know anything it is that God is always moving outward - beyond the boundaries we construct and even the boundaries God constructs.  Always moving out further and further.  Not going back.  Not retreating to the safe place of home.  Ever expanding outward and upward.

There is nothing wrong with Orpah.  We don't find her demonized in the story or compared to Ruth.  And yet we know somehow that Orpah missed out, don't we?  By going back, Orpah missed God's ever expanding story unfolding.

Our churches and communities are full of both Orpahs and Ruths.  And I'll admit that for a lot of my life, the temptation to be Orpah has been strong.  Following the rules, staying with family.  Not taking the risk to discover an expanding life.

God loves Orpahs as much as Ruths.  Of that I have no doubt.

But if we are Orpahs, are we missing something of the abundant, expanding life that God is offering now?

God of the universe, send me.  Help me to step out of my comfort zone and move into the places of discipleship and mission that you have created me for!  Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment