Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Spirit

2 Kings 2:9-14New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, “Tell me what I may do for you, before I am taken from you.” Elisha said, “Please let me inherit a double share of your spirit.” He responded, “You have asked a hard thing; yet, if you see me as I am being taken from you, it will be granted you; if not, it will not.” As they continued walking and talking, a chariot of fire and horses of fire separated the two of them, and Elijah ascended in a whirlwind into heaven. Elisha kept watching and crying out, “Father, father! The chariots of Israel and its horsemen!” But when he could no longer see him, he grasped his own clothes and tore them in two pieces.
He picked up the mantle of Elijah that had fallen from him, and went back and stood on the bank of the Jordan. He took the mantle of Elijah that had fallen from him, and struck the water, saying, “Where is the Lord, the God of Elijah?” When he had struck the water, the water was parted to the one side and to the other, and Elisha went over.

When I was in Seminary, especially near the beginning, I remember feeling awed by how much my professors seemed to know. I remember thinking that they had to have more faith than I could possibly understand.
I felt that way when I heard sermons that really blew me away.  "I could never do that." I thought.
There are days still when I ask myself whether I am really ready for the call God has given me.
Elisha had to be a bit nervous himself to be the follower of the great Elijah.  Was he ready?
Yet nervous or not, Elisha shows marked confidence.  He asks for a double share of Elijah's spirit.
Now, admittedly, this isn't one of the easiest requests to interpret.  Yet, it is easy to see from the text that Elisha is bold to ask it.
And perhaps it also gives us a hint that Elisha knows where his confidence comes from.
The Spirit of God.
God gave Elijah the spirit.  God gave it to Elisha as well.
And that Spirit has been given to us.
That call from God comes not just to seminary professors or great preachers.  It comes to each of us, and each of us has been equipped with the same Spirit.  
It makes everything possible.
It gives us confidence.
It lifts us up when we feel unworthy.
It moves mountains and parts waters.
Imagine what that Spirit can accomplish in you!

Holy Spirit come.  Lead me down paths you have prepared for me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment