Wednesday, September 7, 2016

I Timothy 1:3-5

1 Timothy 1:3-5

I urge you, as I did when I was on my way to Macedonia, to remain in Ephesus so that you may instruct certain people not to teach any different doctrine, and not to occupy themselves with myths and endless genealogies that promote speculations rather than the divine training that is known by faith. But the aim of such instruction is love that comes from a pure heart, a good conscience, and sincere faith.


If you have talked to me at all recently either in a church setting or about church, you've heard that I tend to avoid using the terms "Sunday School" or even Christian Education. I prefer saying "faith formation," and this passage from Paul to Timothy, is at least a little bit why.

"School" and "teaching" come as loaded terms. For kids, they are loaded one way - and not always pleasantly - and for adults, they are loaded another. Usually loaded toward the brain. Toward knowing more.

But Paul wants Timothy to understand that it isn't just about what we know. Because the things we know or learn, aren't always grounded in truth. They might tickle our brain and make us feel more intelligent and knowledgeable, but they aren't the reason for teaching.

Instead, our faith is meant to be formed. God - our creator - is always busy re-creating us. Forming us. And that is what our "instruction" is meant for.

So that we may be formed in the ways of love and faith.

Not simply knowledgeable about facts.

This isn't to say that knowing something about our doctrine isn't important. Or that catechetics or Bible Studies aren't important.  They are.

But the reason for them is not simply that we know more or have more facts or head knowledge. It is for our ongoing formation as God's creatures. It is that we may more closely follow our call to love and serve our God and our neighbor.

We are a new creation. One that is still being formed. With faith that is still being formed.

By a Creator who wants us to share in the love for all of creation.


Lord, melt me, mold me, fill me, use me, form me. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment