Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Thanksgiving: Philippians 4:4-7

Philippians 4:4-7

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

As you gather with friends or family (or football! 😀) this Thanksgiving day, you might find yourself in differing levels of peace.
Perhaps the state of your dinner table won't be peaceful.
Perhaps it will be stressful.
Maybe it will be too peaceful. Someone may be missing this year from it and their presence will be keenly missed.
One of the biggest things which I have to always remind myself and to challenge myself to remember is that God's peace does not always equal my comfort.
God's peace surpasses my understanding.
It is not always tranquility.
It is not always calm.
It is not always happiness.
It is not always safety.
And yet it is that which I am so supremely grateful for. It is that which guards my heart and mind.
It is that which gives me courage when I am not feeling comfortable or tranquil or calm or happy or safe.
This Thanksgiving, no matter your circumstances - whether you are feeling alone or feeling burdened.
Whether you are grieving or joyful.
May the peace of God which surpasses all understanding guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus!

Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment