Friday, September 27, 2013

Devotionals

This post comes from realizing I need a little bit of discipline in my writing life.  I started this blog without really figuring out what it's purpose was for - beyond my own musings about life, faith, and church.  So since day one I've wrestled with "WHAT should I write about" and "WHEN should I write."  I realized that without answering the "when," I'm not sure I can fully answer the "what."

Two things coalesced today into giving me some idea.  First, as part of my own morning devotionals, I subscribe to the ELCA's daily Bible readings list-serve.  What I love about it is that each day takes me to a new and different part of scripture.  What I don't like is that unlike some of the other devotionals I read, there is no written response to the reading.  

That takes me to the second thing that gave me an idea.  One of the most helpful activities I ever had in Seminary was in my first class - Old Testament 1 with Dr. Bob Robinson.  (One of my favorite classes).  Over the course of the Semester, Dr. Robinson had us keep a journal of our Bible readings (one I sadly can't seem to find).  Each day I would write a small reflection on what the reading said to me.  It was a good exercise that I thought I'd keep up.

I didn't.

So, now seems a good time - and this seems a good place.  And the ELCA gives me good fodder.

So, not promising I'm going to do this (yet) every day.  But it's time to start to try.  Reading devotionals each day has been an important aspect of my faith life.  Let's see if writing them is as well!



Ephesians 2:1-10 (NRSV)
God is rich in mercy

You were dead through the trespasses and sins in which you once lived, following the course of this world, following the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work among those who are disobedient. All of us once lived among them in the passions of our flesh, following the desires of flesh and senses, and we were by nature children of wrath, like everyone else. But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ -- by grace you have been saved -- and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God not the result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life. 


"For grace you have been saved through faith" is rather like mother's milk for Lutherans and this passage from Ephesians is one that I go back to time and again.  
And in the dialogue between faith and works, it comes down pretty emphatically on the side of faith.

But St. Paul isn't letting us off the "works" hook either.  We were, after all, made for good works. "For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.

Faith isn't an a action or a belief so much as it is our way of being.  It is what we are designed for.  Living out our lives in the way God has designed for us - finding that place where passion meets purpose - is the ultimate freedom.

I remember the first time Alex was laid in my arms.  I'm sure I'm not alone, as other new parents can attest.  That moment when that small, crying little being is put in your arms and you fully realize: taking care of this new creature is what I was designed for.  Loving this child is what I am meant to do.  Being his or her parent is who I am!  What better good work than raising a child?

Or maybe it was the time you realized your gift.  The first time a musician's fingers touch the piano keys and a melody comes forth.  Or a public speaker rouses an audience to action.  Or a teacher sees a student graduate with honors.  When you were finally conscious of who it is you are meant to be.  How amazing was that feeling?

Good works, according to good Lutheran theology, are a response to the work that God first does in us.  They are the response of faith.

But they are also quite simply just who we are meant to be.  God, as we know from Genesis, saw everything God made and knew that it was good.  Living into that goodness is what we are meant for and what ultimately will be the place where our passion meets our purpose.

Loving God - you have created us to love and be loved.  You have designed us to be your good creation.  Remind us today and always of the freedom and joy that is found from being what you have made us to be.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment