Thursday, January 23, 2014

Defending the faith

Galatians 1:11-24 (NRSV)

For I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel that was proclaimed by me is not of human origin; for I did not receive it from a human source, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

 You have heard, no doubt, of my earlier life in Judaism. I was violently persecuting the church of God and was trying to destroy it. I advanced in Judaism beyond many among my people of the same age, for I was far more zealous for the traditions of my ancestors. But when God, who had set me apart before I was born and called me through his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me, so that I might proclaim him among the Gentiles, I did not confer with any human being, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were already apostles before me, but I went away at once into Arabia, and afterwards I returned to Damascus.

 Then after three years I did go up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and stayed with him for fifteen days; but I did not see any other apostle except James the Lord’s brother. In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie! Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia, and I was still unknown by sight to the churches of Judea that are in Christ; they only heard it said, ‘The one who formerly was persecuting us is now proclaiming the faith he once tried to destroy.’ And they glorified God because of me.

Have you ever had to defend your faith?  I imagine for Paul it was an uphill battle. The baggage he brought into his apostleship was weighty.  It was understandable why the other apostles (formerly Jesus' disciples) weren't ready to accept him with open arms.  Paul accepts this and confesses this. "I was violently persecuting the church of God and trying to destroy it."  And while even with that confession, it took distance and time for the apostles to welcome him with open arms, they eventually did.

Preparing for my call as a rostered leader sometimes had the same feel.  Like Paul it was a lengthy process, and there was time, distance, and defense of my faith that was required, as it is for all who enter ordained, consecrated, or commissioned ministry in the ELCA.  

But as members of the body of Christ, our access to God through church and faith and hope is not limited by any interview or defense of our faith.  We are welcome.  Through baptism we are made members of the family of God and our inheritance is sealed by the Holy Spirit.

And yet even if not baptized, the doors of the church are meant to fling wide open for all: outsiders, the broken, the searching, the hurting, the hopeful, and the sinful.  Defense of faith is not required.

I'm not sure this view of church is one that the wider world believes in or sees as authentic.  When I hear church spoken of in public forums, this isn't the church that they recognize.

But it is the one that Paul zealously turned from condemnation of to defense and proclamation of.

Some will come into our church without the heritage we have been able to claim though our baptism.  Let us always open the doors wide and let them in so that they can receive a foretaste of the promise for themselves.

God of promise, remind us that the church is yours, not ours.  And help us to proclaim our faith in you by welcoming all who seek you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment