Sunday, January 5, 2014

Happy New Year! Let your lights shine!

Happy New Year!

I took a little New Year's Break!  I have been trying to think of something new to do with this devotional, but so far, no fresh ideas.  So for now, the ELCA daily reading will do!  Beginning this year then with the day of Epiphany.

Isaiah 60:1-6 (NRSV) 
The Ingathering of the Dispersed

Arise, shine; for your light has come,
   and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you. 
For darkness shall cover the earth,
   and thick darkness the peoples;
but the Lord will arise upon you,
   and his glory will appear over you. 
Nations shall come to your light,
   and kings to the brightness of your dawn. 

Lift up your eyes and look around;
   they all gather together, they come to you;
your sons shall come from far away,
   and your daughters shall be carried on their nurses’ arms. 
Then you shall see and be radiant;
   your heart shall thrill and rejoice,
because the abundance of the sea shall be brought to you,
   the wealth of the nations shall come to you. 
A multitude of camels shall cover you,
   the young camels of Midian and Ephah;
   all those from Sheba shall come.

They shall bring gold and frankincense,
   and shall proclaim the praise of the Lord.


I admit that I've always envied the idea of a light shining so strongly - so boldly and without doubt to its purpose - that it guides me exactly to what MY purpose is.  

The magi following the light over miles and miles, bearing their gifts, for this unknown king that they just KNEW they had to worship.

Where can I get some of that?

As the Christmas season ends, and the tree and all the decorations come down, each year I find it hard to let go of the Christmas lights.  So each year, a few of them stay up.  Over the past several years, I've left a few of the lights shining in the windows.  This year, I also left up some of the white lights I put up for decoration in the kitchen and some electric tea light shimmering on the mantle.  I find their soft glow soothing in the cold winter nights: the light always gently mellowing the darkness, never the darkness taking over the light.

Perhaps that's why the metaphor of Jesus as the light of the world has always been so appealing to me, and why that star the magi followed is such a powerful image.

And why this Isaiah reading gives such hope.

Arise.  Shine.  The Light HAS come.  The Lord arises in the darkness, the light gently lifting the thick cloud that descends and confuses purpose and meaning.  Lift your eyes and look around to see that its soft glow brings hope in the darkness.


Radiant God, you have come.  Let your light shine in me this year so that I might show others the hope and promise of your grace! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment