Friday, April 18, 2014

Seven Last Words of Jesus: Seven

"Father, into your hands I commend my spirit." - Luke 23:46


The backdrop for these, Jesus' final words, is dramatic.  Darkness has come over the whole land.  The very light of the sun has failed in middle of the afternoon, and the temple curtain has torn in two.  It had to seem a setting of utter hopelessness.

And yet in this final moment Jesus displays complete and utter trust.

Again, we are getting a quote from a psalm.  This time, Psalm 31, a Psalm of David:

3 "You are indeed my rock and my fortress;
   for your name’s sake lead me and guide me, 
4 take me out of the net that is hidden for me,
   for you are my refuge. 
5 Into your hand I commit my spirit;
   you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God."

In life, Jesus perfectly displayed faith in God and now in death, it is not surprising that he does as well.  Despite the sorrow around him - sorrow displayed by the very world itself - Jesus lets go of life with the very calm and trust and assurance he always had.

This trust of God has a forward looking sense to it.  In Psalm 31, David tells God that he has been redeemed by God.  In these last moments of Jesus then, we can enter into that same hope.  

That death does not have the final word.

God of life, let our trust in you be complete.  Help us to let go and fall into your open arms with the same hope of Jesus, in whose perfect love and faith is our salvation.  Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment