Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The Kingdom of God is Among You

Luke 17:20-21 (NRSV)

Once Jesus was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God was coming, and he answered, “The kingdom of God is not coming with things that can be observed; nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There it is!’ For, in fact, the kingdom of God is among you.”

Can you tell when you are smack dab up against the Kingdom of God?
Can you feel it? 
Can you sense it?
Jesus says that you can't say "here it is" or "there it is," so it sounds like you can't just reach out and touch it.
Yet if it is among you - if it is present - we sure would want to know it, wouldn't we?
How can we know?
Maybe one way is to pay attention. 
To make sure we are in the moment, noticing...everything.
The sounds, textures, emotions, smells, tastes of the now.
Rather than the stresses, worries, plans, of what is to come.
Or what was.
Sometimes I've noticed that when I've been so caught up in worrying about the future or hanging on to arguments or disagreements of the past, I've completely missed those moments of Kingdom that are trying desperately to capture my attention now.
The Kingdom won't announce itself. It won't say "Here I am, Allison! Notice me!"
I need instead to be looking up, ready for it!

Lord, keep my eyes tuned to this moment. And this moment so that your kingdom may come in me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment