Thursday, May 19, 2016

Acts 9:3-9

Acts 9:3-9

Now as (Saul) was going along and approaching Damascus, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?” He asked, “Who are you, Lord?” The reply came, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But get up and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do.” The men who were traveling with him stood speechless because they heard the voice but saw no one. Saul got up from the ground, and though his eyes were open, he could see nothing; so they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus. For three days he was without sight, and neither ate nor drank.

Did you ever ask yourself - as I admit I have - where your "Road to Damascus" moment is?
Maybe you've had one. 
But I haven't.
And I used to be really upset about that. I mean, here we see Saul/Paul begin the move from enemy to leader.
From persecutor to believer,
And it's dramatic.
I used to want that. And I used to wonder if the fact that I hadn't had that, meant my faith wasn't real enough.
Some of that was the product of being brought up in the Bible belt where I frequently was asked if Jesus was my personal savior and when my salvation moment came.
I was envious of this rapid ascent into faith.
Now?
Now I'm not so envious.
Now I realize that Paul was Paul. (or Saul was Paul).
And me? I'm Allison.
And my faith story has been slower. More quiet. Less dramatic.
And yet no less real.
I'm not called to be Paul. I'm not called to move within three days time from persecutor to believer.
Instead I'm called to ask myself what my believing means for me.
And where is THAT road going to take me?

God of all journeys: help me to stay the course and see those moments along the, both big and small, that you call me to. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment