Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Fear and Powerlessness

Psalm 128 (NRSV)

Happy is everyone who fears the LORD,
who walks in his ways.
You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands;
you shall be happy, and it shall go well with you.
Your wife will be like a fruitful vine
within your house;
your children will be like olive shoots
around your table.
Thus shall the man be blessed
who fears the LORD.
The LORD bless you from Zion.
May you see the prosperity of Jerusalem
all the days of your life.
May you see your children's children.
Peace be upon Israel! 

"Fear of the Lord" has been a phrase and concept that I've witnessed many people struggle with.  I admit that I've been challenged by it myself.

One of the reasons it's challenged me is because of the quote I've heard often that "fear is the opposite of love."  I'm not sure where that quote originated, but I heard it in conversations in Seminary and I've heard it from various sectors in the theological realm.

I get the reason for the quote.  The purpose is to say that it is fear, not simply hate, that drives most of the vengeful, damaging, cruel, awful acts in the world.  That it was fear of the Jews that drove the Nazis.  That it is fear of homosexuality that drives groups like Wellsboro Baptist church.  That it is fear of women getting power that drives patriarchy.  That it was fear of former slaves uprising that drove the Jim Crow laws of the South.

There perhaps is something to that.  I do know that fear of losing power has driven many a despot to heinous acts of violence.

But I think perhaps that quote has done some damage to the word fear.  "Fear" of the Lord is something else entirely.

Some use the word "awe" instead, and awe I think is definitely part of it.  But it isn't quite enough.  But I think that we could use a good dose of rehabilitation for the word "fear" - at least in terms of how we view God.  

One of things I've always admired about 12-Step groups is that their first step admits powerlessness - whether over alcohol, or drugs, or the alcoholism within a family system, etc.  It is there I think that the most meaningful connection to the word "fear" comes.  Admitting we don't control our destinies; that we can't control demons of drugs or alcohol; that we can't control the actions of a dysfunctional family system or sex addiction or food addition, but that instead "letting go" and turning over to God (or "Higher Power" if you like) frees us from that control those demons have over us.  A God who can take all that - who can take our sinfulness, our addictions, our pain, our control - that God is worthy of the right kind of fear.

I have always thought Christians - especially Western Christians - can learn a lot from the 12-Step programs.  We are addicted to our Western Culture and the power it gives us.  There's really no denying that. We stress, we plan, we worry over our future and how to keep what is ours.  We all do it.  I do it.

Yet the Psalmist here seemed to be a little ahead of the 12-Step curve.  Fear the Lord.  Admit powerlessness.  Let go and let God.  

Lord, I admit that I am powerless over ________________ (fill in the blank) and a cannot free myself.  Only you can restore me to wholeness, to health, to sanity.  Restore me.  Free me.  Forgive me.  Give me strength this day to move forward, confident in your loving mercy and surrendering always to your infinite wisdom and power.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment