Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Lost or not?

Matthew 18:10-14

‘Take care that you do not despise one of these little ones; for, I tell you, in heaven their angels continually see the face of my Father in heaven. What do you think? If a shepherd has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray? And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine that never went astray. So it is not the will of your Father in heaven that one of these little ones should be lost.


Who are the lost? And who are the 99?  The ones who never go astray...

Grief or anger or selfishness can leave us feeling not just spiritually, but even physically, separated from God.  Is it then that we are lost?

When we sin boldly...is that when we are lost?

Is it the person we meet who claims not to believe in God?  Are they lost?

Is it the Hindu?  The Muslim?  The Buddhist?  Are they the ones who are lost?  

Or are we lost when we think we've got it right.  When we go to church every Sunday and believe that's going to set us right for the rest of the week.  When we think we know for certain who is in and who is out.  

The truth is that I'm awfully cautious about thinking of myself as one of the 99. I go astray and need that gentle shepherd to guide me home more frequently than not.  

Luther is attributed with saying the Gospel is one beggar telling another beggar where to get bread.  In some ways that makes more sense to me.  We are indeed all beggars, whether we are the lost or consider ourselves among the 99.  Each one of us is dependent on that Good Shepherd who rejoices mightily when we are found and provides us the best bread of all to sustain us and then rejoices in sharing it with us.  Maybe we are lost or maybe we are in the 99.  But either way, we can help each other find that bread.

Good Shepherd, find me when I'm lost.  Seek me even when I don't realize I'm lost and open my heart to others who are lost like me that I might not judge them, but simply love them.  Feed us Lord then with your bread of life and with your word of hope. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment