Monday, October 20, 2014

Golden Idol

Daniel 3:16-18New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego answered the king, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to present a defense to you in this matter. If our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the furnace of blazing fire and out of your hand, O king, let him deliver us. But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods and we will not worship the golden statue that you have set up.”

The story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego is one you may remember from Sunday School.  We had a musical we did of the story at one of my churches.
Or maybe you remember this:

(Louis Armstrong singing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r1baNdgImo)
Buried in the story from childhood is a very real and adult issue: idolatry.
So, yeah, OK, we don't tend to worship golden statues (of golden calfs) anymore.  But idolatry is alive and well. 
Maybe it is easier to imagine and idol that looks impressive and golden - like the massive statue in Daniel or the golden idol of "Raiders of the Lost Ark," (this guy...remember?)


I have to admit that my idols don't always have such a shiny glint to them.  Sometimes my idols can be mundane and everyday.  Sometimes they can not even be tangible.  Maybe it's an idea or ideal: Freedom.  Independence.  Success.  Comfort. Wealth.  
Even Justice.
Whatever it is that I put before my God.
Luther said that whatever you set your heart or your trust on is your god.
Where is my heart? Where is yours?

Oh God, you are my God, and I will always love you.  Help me to trust always in your love for me that I may not put other gods before you.  Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment