Friday, October 3, 2014

Shine on

Philippians 2:14-15New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

Do all things without murmuring and arguing, so that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, in which you shine like stars in the world.

Sometimes a little good advice from Paul is a good way to start the day.
It reminds me perhaps of Jesus telling his followers not to hide their light under a bushel.  Jesus is the light of the world, and he has made us light as well.
I think of that each morning when I do my devotions.  I have a little Christmas candle that I keep up all year to help me focus sometimes in my prayer.  When you study light - look at how it shines outward - you see that light just can't help but be light.  Light shines because it is light.
Stars shine because they are stars.
And Paul and Jesus remind us that people of the way - followers of Jesus - shine on because that's how they are meant to be.
We are meant to shine on.  It's the natural order of things.
How does that change how we approach our faith?  How does it affect how we see God in Christ?
Paul isn't calling the followers to preach or coerce or teach or lecture.  He's calling them to shine.
Light shines because it is light.
Stars shine because they are stars.
Jesus followers shine because they follow Jesus.
Shine on.

Jesus, light us up so that we can shine on always as we are meant to, helping light the path toward you.  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment