Sunday, October 12, 2014

Joy

Philippians 4:4-7New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

What is joy?
Is it the same as happiness?
Someone I know recently commented to me that it is possible to feel joy even when you aren't feeling happy.  True joy can express itself even in the midst of suffering and sorrow.  Maybe that's because joy is a more lasting, inward feeling of connection to God and God's people, whereas happiness is temporary - more fleeting, and based more on things of material consequence.  Maybe.  
Or maybe I'm just word-wrestling?  
I don't know.  I admit that as much as I've nodded my head sometimes in conversations about joy and happiness, I'm not sure yet I can always differentiate between the two.  Or always even agree with what I might have thought previously.  
Even in a previous paragraph! :-)
There must be something to the inward feeling. Paul says to rejoice always.  Always.  And that the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
That peace that comes from God. Always. Perhaps that's really the word to partner with joy.  Not happiness, but peace.
Shalom.
Salam.
Peace.  Joy.  Surpassing all understanding.
And yet we know it when it happens to us.  We know it when we feel it.  We know the depth and breadth.
That it is, yes, greater than the happiness I received when I buy my favorite album or watch my favorite movie or even travel to an exotic location.
The peace of being with my God and with God's people living in shalom.

Gracious God, may the peace that surpasses all understanding guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus and bring us joy to share with each other!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment