Monday, February 29, 2016

Luke 10:27-29 - Who IS my neighbor?

Luke 10:27-29 (NRSV)

(Jesus) answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” And he said to him, “You have given the right answer; do this, and you will live.”
But wanting to justify himself, (the lawyer) asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

So once we learn to love ourselves, then we're ready to look outward in a love that is moves beyond ourselves.
In another time and place, Jesus will say "love your enemy."
Here Jesus says "love your neighbor."
Is there a chance that they are one and the same sometimes?
The lawyer asks the question we are told, in order to justify himself.
He must be pretty sure that the neighbor thing is pretty narrow, and he's got it down.
We do that still I'm afraid. I do it anyway.
I tend to see my neighbor in terms of geography. Close geography.
Yet the same Jesus who will also say "love your enemy" here says "love your neighbor."
Why should I expect the two to be mutually exclusive?
It's a good set up for a great story...

Lord let me see beyond myself to all of my neighbors and help me not to be surprised at who they are! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment