Friday, February 7, 2014

Home

Psalm 112

Praise the Lord!
   Happy are those who fear the Lord,
   who greatly delight in his commandments. 
Their descendants will be mighty in the land;
   the generation of the upright will be blessed. 
Wealth and riches are in their houses,
   and their righteousness endures for ever. 
They rise in the darkness as a light for the upright;
   they are gracious, merciful, and righteous. 
It is well with those who deal generously and lend,
   who conduct their affairs with justice. 
For the righteous will never be moved;
   they will be remembered for ever. 
They are not afraid of evil tidings;
   their hearts are firm, secure in the Lord
Their hearts are steady, they will not be afraid;
   in the end they will look in triumph on their foes. 
They have distributed freely, they have given to the poor;
   their righteousness endures for ever;
   their horn is exalted in honour. 
The wicked see it and are angry;
   they gnash their teeth and melt away;
   the desire of the wicked comes to nothing.

Everything starts and ends for me today with the opening line of this Psalm.  "Praise the Lord!"  

I'm in my house after being away from it for nearly two days after the "ice event" that hit us in Southeastern PA.  Already this has been the worst winter in my memory, but the last couple days really took the cake.  Others are still without power, water and heat, which tempers my own happiness at being able to be home again.

We are so fortunate that we have friends who were willing to take us in for the last couple of days, especially as I think of those who weathered the situation in their freezing cold houses.

And I am reminded of those who always struggle for heat, water, and any form of comfort and I am humbled.

Isaiah describes the righteous here as those who are gracious and merciful; who deal generously; who conduct their affairs with justice and who distribute freely to the poor.  As one who has just been only a little bit homeless with a safe place to lay my head at night, my thoughts go to those who aren't and wonder what justice is available for them and how I can delight in the commandment to show them mercy myself.

God of home and family, you will all your children to have a warm place to lay their head at night, yet so many do not.  Remind me always of your call to be of service to them.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment