Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Law

 
Psalm 119:57-64 (NRSV)

The LORD is my portion;
I promise to keep your words.
I implore your favor with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to your promise.
When I think of your ways,
I turn my feet to your decrees;
I hurry and do not delay
to keep your commandments.
Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me,
I do not forget your law.
At midnight I rise to praise you,
because of your righteous ordinances.
I am a companion of all who fear you,
of those who keep your precepts.
The earth, O LORD, is full of your steadfast love;
teach me your statutes. 


I am a big fan of television.  Back in the day, when reruns of "I Love Lucy," "Gilligan's Island," and the "Dick van Dyke" show were on in the afternoon, I'd happily plop myself in front of the TV after school and watch them as if they were the best, brand new shiny things around. 

So it's been increasingly sad for me to notice how depressingly nihilistic much of TV has become.  I can't lie and say I haven't watched or even enjoyed some of the post-modern dramas on TV, but I am starting to feel the weight of them.  They are beginning to be overwhelming.  And sadly I think the world they paint is a world I think a lot of people are believing in.

Yet everything I know shouts at me that the earth IS full of God's steadfast love.  I see it all the time.  

People putting meals together to be shipped to areas of the world that need it most.  People bringing food to the homeless on Thanksgiving.  People sheltering those who have been impacted by nature's force or fleeing an homeland that is falling apart.  People reaching out in relationship to those who are alone, abused, frightened, outcast.  People standing up for the rights of their neighbor.

God's steadfast love is everywhere regardless of how it seems to be portrayed in film, TV, and even in the news.

When you see the law as something that was given to keep us together, to build relationship, to foster community, then suddenly you don't see the law as something to box us in, but instead as freedom to love as deeply and profoundly as God loves us.  The law keeps us "companions" on the journey and show us what life can richly offer when we jump into relationship and share this life together in love.

God of law and grace, write your will on my heart so that I can see your steadfast love everywhere and always, regardless of how the world is portrayed.  Help me to proclaim that love from the top of my lungs and with the depth of my being.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment