Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Not like him

Luke 18:18-30 (NRSV)

 A certain ruler asked him, ‘Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ Jesus said to him, ‘Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. You know the commandments: “You shall not commit adultery; You shall not murder; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; Honour your father and mother.” ’ He replied, ‘I have kept all these since my youth.’ When Jesus heard this, he said to him, ‘There is still one thing lacking. Sell all that you own and distribute the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.’But when he heard this, he became sad; for he was very rich. Jesus looked at him and said, ‘How hard it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God! Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.’

Those who heard it said, ‘Then who can be saved?’ He replied, ‘What is impossible for mortals is possible for God.’

 Then Peter said, ‘Look, we have left our homes and followed you.’ And he said to them, ‘Truly I tell you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, who will not get back very much more in this age, and in the age to come eternal life.’ 

So much has been written and said about this text that it's become difficult to look for something new to say.  And yet, the last couple of times I've read it, something new did strike me.  Or rather something that in years of identifying with and wondering about the ruler, I'd failed to notice. 

If you were to be describing this scene to someone, most likely it would occur to you to mention to two main characters - Jesus and the ruler (or rich young man depending on your gospel).

But there's another figure there lurking about.  It's Peter.  Peter who looks on this dialogue and when it's over basically says, "Hey...can't say we didn't follow you.  We left everything bro...here we are!"

It makes me wonder how Peter witnesses that scene and what really was going on in his head at that moment.  He wants, it seems, for it to be perfectly clear that he and the disciples are not like that young man who became sad at the prospect of losing his wealth.

Was he worried that Jesus had forgotten everything they'd done in following him? Was he just looking for reassurance?

Was he worried Jesus didn't think anyone could do it?

Did he want to make sure Jesus knew how special they were?

Was it simply a case of wanting to be clear that "we" aren't like "him."

I honestly don't know.  But I know that there are probably more times in my life I've felt like Peter than I wish. "I did this Jesus, just like you asked.  Did you notice?" 

Times when I've thought "I'm not like him or her or them..."

Of course, truth is I probably am.  And because of that, I'm grateful that in the end what is impossible for mortals is possible for God.

God of the impossible, you know my heart and my ways.  With you all things are possible.  Thank you!  Remind me always, and forgive me when I seem to crave just a bit more reassurance than I should.  Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment