Monday, March 2, 2015

Good?

Genesis 50:15-21New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

Realizing that their father was dead, Joseph’s brothers said, “What if Joseph still bears a grudge against us and pays us back in full for all the wrong that we did to him?” So they approached Joseph, saying, “Your father gave this instruction before he died, ‘Say to Joseph: I beg you, forgive the crime of your brothers and the wrong they did in harming you.’ Now therefore please forgive the crime of the servants of the God of your father.” Joseph wept when they spoke to him. Then his brothers also wept, fell down before him, and said, “We are here as your slaves.” But Joseph said to them, “Do not be afraid! Am I in the place of God? Even though you intended to do harm to me, God intended it for good, in order to preserve a numerous people, as he is doing today. So have no fear; I myself will provide for you and your little ones.” In this way he reassured them, speaking kindly to them.

I think a lot of harm has been done with the line "God intended it for good."  One of the translations of the verse that I've heard is "what man intended for evil, God intended for good." There's a lot of convoluted thinking that can come out of that.  We can read it as if it puts a blessing on our suffering.
It is true I believe, that suffering can bring about enormous spiritual growth. But I don't believe that it is something God wishes for us, as if God is OK with the evil designs of one person against another because something good can come out of it.
The reality is, however, that people do commit evil acts against each other. And it is also true that people suffer as a result of it: often both the one who commits the act and their victim!
Yet it is also true that God does not want us to stay suffering and is present with us in those times of suffering.  When in my life good came out of suffering, it often was because I was somehow able to sense God's comforting presence more in those moments than when everything was going well for me.  The veil somehow seemed lifted.
Why do bad things happen? It's the eternal question, isn't it?
And while a pat, easy answer is impossible to come by, we know we have One who suffers with us. 
Who suffered before us.
Who suffers for us.
Who offers us hope and freedom in spite of our suffering.
And that, I think, is good.

Good and gracious God, walk with me today as I live, grow, learn, suffer and hope. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment