Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Humility

Philippians 2:1-4New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

If then there is any encouragement in Christ, any consolation from love, any sharing in the Spirit, any compassion and sympathy, make my joy complete: be of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves. Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others.

I want to take two days to go through this famous "Christ Hymn" from Philippians because it just is so awesome it deserves it! :-)
As I read through this passage again and again, each time I am bowled over by how much we just don't seem to get it most of the time. 
Humility.
In humility regard others as better than yourselves.
When you think they aren't worshipping the correct way.
When they think that the music being played should be one way or another.
When they believe that the church is going in a different direction than you do.
When they are Republican Christians.
When they are Democratic Christians.
When they are Pro-Life Christians.
When they are Pro-Choice Christians.
When they aren't Christian.
When they believe in same sex marriage in the church.
When they don't believe in same sex marriage in the church.
When they don't want communion every week.
When they do.
When they believe in baptism of infants.
When they don't.
When they worship only at Christmas and Easter or only a few Sundays a year.
When they don't worship at all.
When they disagree with you in Bible Study.
When they don't come to Bible Study at all.
When they decide to go to a different church.
When they decide not to go to church.
Regard them in humility.
In joy.
In mutuality.
In compassion.
In love.
Because the one who died on the cross with you in mind, also went to the cross with them in mind.

Merciful God, remind me always that my ways are not your ways. Remind me also that your ways are sometimes inscrutable to me, so I should make sure not to get so attached to my ways that I can't let them go when you desire it. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment