Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Wisdom


Proverbs 9:1-6New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

Wisdom has built her house,
    she has hewn her seven pillars.
She has slaughtered her animals, she has mixed her wine,
    she has also set her table.
She has sent out her servant-girls, she calls
    from the highest places in the town,
“You that are simple, turn in here!”
    To those without sense she says,
“Come, eat of my bread
    and drink of the wine I have mixed.
Lay aside immaturity, and live,
    and walk in the way of insight.”

Have I mentioned that I love the character of Wisdom in the Psalms (she is found in some other Wisdom literature as well - some deuterocanonical texts)?

Here, she is not only been personified, but she also images herself as a place. She is somewhere, then, arrive-able.

How do we become wise? It's an age old question isn't it, and there is really not one tried and true formula.

But I think there is a clue here in Wisdom's call for us to "lay aside immaturity and live."

Live.

Living was something Jesus was always admonishing his followers and hearers to do.

What is life like when we are truly living it? When we are in tune to the world and people around us. Making the most of opportunities that are given to us. Learning from our mistakes to forge new paths.

Choosing to be in relationship and service and not seeking our own way all the time.

Listening and being present rather than letting our minds take us away from where the action is.

Not needing someone else to be wrong for us to be right.

Setting aside anger and offering forgiveness.

Jesus called us life. 

Wisdom is not knowledge.  It isn't book smarts.  It is insight into life and love.

Wisdom has prepared a table for us.  Let's dine on the best life has to offer.


God of wisdom, open my eyes and my mind and my heart. Help me to be fully present and part of this bountiful life you have set before me. Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment