Thursday, January 12, 2017

Brought to our knees: Luke 5:4-8

Luke 5:4-8

When (Jesus) had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.” Simon answered, “Master, we have worked all night long but have caught nothing. Yet if you say so, I will let down the nets.” When they had done this, they caught so many fish that their nets were beginning to break. So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both boats, so that they began to sink. But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man!”

What has brought you to your knees?

Maybe it was joy. Or grief. Or like Peter, repentance or shame.

For me it was grief. When my grandmother died I remember falling to my knees as if they gave out from under me. I couldn't stand. 

I felt demonstrably weakened.

What has made you feel weakened? Or vulnerable?

Being weak isn't a good thing in our culture. Being strong is what it's all about. And yet, when faced with the reality of who Jesus was and what he could accomplish, Peter gave into his weakness.

And acknowledged it.

And maybe that's what an encounter with Jesus the Christ is meant to do us. Reveal us in our most vulnerable state.

And then tell us that it is in that state - that vulnerable state - that we are strong. 

It's enough to bring you to your knees.


Lord, help me not to hide from my vulnerability, and help me to remember that even in weakness, you have given me strength beyond measure. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment