Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Live: John 15:1-5

John 15:1-5

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower. He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing.

Why does a branch bear fruit?
Because it's alive.
It is alive because it is connected to the source. It is connected to the rest of the tree, and that great sap of life running through it. It can tap into the water it needs and the minerals from the soil.
I'm no botanist. Biology was not even one of my best classes in school. So admittedly, I may not know the exact way trees provide life to their branches. 
But I know what it means to be connected to the Source of life.
I know because I know what I feel when I am not connected to the Source. I know what it feels to be isolated, cut off.

As a New Year dawns, perhaps it is a good time to ask yourself what are the ways in which you are connected to the Source of Life? What are the ways you sometimes isolate yourself from it?

This goes beyond simply going to church. Being in a church community can be life giving and is certainly a way to connect to the Source of Life.

But even going to church every Sunday may not mean we are connected. We may not be getting the sustenance only others on their own faith journeys can give us. Or being a source of sustenance for them...

Just as sometimes we may find ourselves connected to the Source of Life in other ways: through service at a soup kitchen; in an intimate relationship with our spouse; coaching our child's soccer team; or experience God's glory in creation.

So, as you begin this year, ask yourself if there is something that can connect you to life - that can help you tap into something that can show that you yourself are a Source of abundant life.

Lord, help me to truly be alive. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment