Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Woe to me: Luke 6:22-26

Luke 6:22-26

(Jesus said) “Blessed are you when people hate you, and when they exclude you, revile you, and defame you on account of the Son of Man. Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, for surely your reward is great in heaven; for that is what their ancestors did to the prophets.
“But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation.
“Woe to you who are full now, for you will be hungry.
“Woe to you who are laughing now, for you will mourn and weep.
“Woe to you when all speak well of you, for that is what their ancestors did to the false prophets."

Luke's counterpart to Matthew's "Sermon on the Mount" is referred to as the "Sermon on the Plain." Like it's Matthean counterpart, it has the Beatitudes.
There are of course, differences. 
These aren't Matthew's Beatitudes.
In addition to some differences in the Beatitudes themselves, Luke adds what are referred to as the "Woes."
And I'm not sure about you, but those woes strike me right in the heart.
I read a post on Facebook this past week from a Pastor who said (about Matthew's Beatitudes) that they preached so well themselves, that all you really needed to do was read them, and sit down (or do a mic drop!). 
But doing so with Luke's isn't quite so easy (or comfortable) to do. Not for most of us anyway.
Because those woes hit a little close to home.
So what do we do with that? How do you go on knowing that Jesus has strong words of consolation for those who are doing without, and strong words of caution for those who aren't?
Maybe we seek ways to be a blessing ourselves to those who are hated, reviled, and defamed.
Who is it that needs your blessing today? Who is it that is most hated? Most reviled? Most defamed?
How can we love them today?

Lord, let me an an instrument of your peace. Let me be a blessing to those who are in need. Let me share my riches, my food, my laughter, and my life with those who are in need. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment