Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Sing a New Song: Psalm 40:1-3

Psalm 40:1-3

To the leader. Of David. A Psalm.


I waited patiently for the Lord
    he inclined to me and heard my cry.
He drew me up from the desolate pit,
    out of the miry bog,
and set my feet upon a rock,
    making my steps secure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
    a song of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear,
    and put their trust in the Lord.
When I was 47 years old, I did something for the first time that most 47 year olds don't do for the first time: I got a tattoo. It was meant to mark the new place in my life in which I found myself. I was an Approved Rostered Leader of the ELCA and I was in my first call. This is my tattoo:



It is the title of a song that means a lot to my faith life: "40" by the band U2. And yes, it is based on Psalm 40. It is based, in fact, on these three opening lines of Psalm 40. The first verse of the song is: "I waited patiently for the Lord. He inclined and heard my cry. He brought me up out of the pit, out of the miry clay." And the refrain: "I will sing, sing a new song." And then the final verse: "He set my feet upon a rock, and made my footsteps firm. Many will see, many will see and hear. I will sing, sing a new song..."*

I was in a place now where I was ready to sing a new song. Where my footsteps felt more secure. Where everything that had led me to this point began to make sense.

It's something to feel like God has got you. That struggles begin to make sense. That everything in the end feels worth it.

That the tears have been wiped away.

It doesn't mean there won't be more struggles, or more tears. That there won't be times that the earth begins to feel like miry clay again, and the rock feels less secure.

But when that happens, I now look at that "40" on my arm and I am reminded of the hope and the possibility and yes, even the certainty, that will once again envelope me.

It helps me remember.

You don't have to get a tattoo to remember. But I've found that having some kind of marking or symbol can be so helpful to help you sing a new song, when the old one just isn't working for you anymore.


I will sing a new song to you Lord! Amen.


*  credit to U2: Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton, and Larry Mullin, Jr. From the War Album - 1983.


No comments:

Post a Comment