Tuesday, January 10, 2017

No such thing as only: Jeremiah 1:6-7

Jeremiah 1:6-7

Then I said, “Ah, Lord God! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy.” But the Lord said to me,
“Do not say, ‘I am only a boy’;
for you shall go to all to whom I send you,
and you shall speak whatever I command you.

How many times have I said it? I can't do that. I'm new. 
Or I'm not experienced enough.
Or I'm not strong enough.
I'm only this. Or I'm only that...
God has a long history of rejecting the word 'only'.  Jeremiah here was only a boy. 
Isaiah was only a man of unclean lips, as was Peter.
Moses was only a man for whom speech was difficult. And David was only a shepherd.
Abraham and Sarah were only older folks past childbearing years, and Mary was only a young maiden who wasn't married yet.
What is it that you feel you are "only?"
What is it that God is telling you that you truly are?

God of all, I am capable because you have equipped me. You have formed me. You have blessed me. Help me to share what you've given me with the world. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment