Monday, January 23, 2017

Fear and Trembling: Philippians 2:12-13

Philippians 2:12-13

Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed me, not only in my presence, but much more now in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, enabling you both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

If you were born and bred a Lutheran like me, you see the words "work out your own salvation" and balk!
It's helpful, therefore, that Paul follows up this line with a reminder that it is God who is at work in us.
Maybe it would be even more helpful if rather than using the word "work" (which many of us might associate with 'works righteousness'), Paul said: "live out your own salvation with fear and trembling" because I think that is closer to the mark.
What does it mean to live out this great adventure called life? This saved life that we get by being one in Christ?
It's awe-inspiring enough to cause a little fear and trembling.
When we take seriously the life we've been given it might just make us shake a bit in our boots.
When we wake up alive each day it's enough to stir up some amazement.
When we think of God working through us...
...using me! And you! And them...
How can we not be floored?
How can we not tremble?
Live - and love - out that saved life you've been given. It's the greatest of all gifts!

Lord, I tremble with awe at the works you will accomplish through me. Help me to remember always that I am yours. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment